This web is also available in: Spanish
Mini SPI, why the Mini does not start? Checkings and solution
Here we go, here we go! Everything is ready to turn the key and start the engine of this little machine after two years of hard work!
A completely rebuilt engine, brand new (and modified) wiring harness, hundreds of problems solved to reach this point. We are pretty nervous, we have to say.
“Turn the key. TURN THE KEY!”
“WTF… Why is not starting?”
In this new episode, the longest in PetrolheadGarage’s history (even longer than the previous one), we will show you all the checking we have done to find the root cause why the engine of the Mini is not starting. 30 minutes of video. Yes. 30. And why not just showing you the moment when it starts? Because that wouldn’t be real.
We made several errors, that’s why the engine wouldn’t start. But, which ones? What is causing the engine not to start? Which are the symptoms? Is there something we have overlooked? And most important: how did we fix it?
In this long episode we will see many things:
- Fuse, ground and fuel pump continuity checks, plus some more electrical checkings more.
- How to check if there is spark between the distributor and the spark plugs?
- How to check if, despite the spark plug wire transmits the voltage, the spark plug is producing a spark?
- There will be a problem with engine compression? How to check the engine compression is correct?
- Is there any problem with the starter motor? How does a starter motor work and what’s different with this one?
- Why do we have such flames in the intake manifold? The firing order is correct?
- Is there any problem with the engine control unit in this 1275cc SPI engine that provokes the engine not to start? How can I know if the ECU is not OK?
- There will be a problem with any of the sensors or actuators from the engine?
- Is there any diagnostics cable for the MEMS ECU this Mini SPI equips? Will it be useful and how can I use it?
- If finally it starts, which steps do we need to follow after the first turns of the engine? Remember this is a rebult engine. What do I have to do if it starts?
All this happened to us, just amateur people, but it can happen to your project, too. And this is the purpose of this video, the purpose of PetrolheadGarage: to share our experiences, together with you tips, your help, and your knowledge. This is our way: to describe all the steps in detail, so not only we learn from our errors, but also the solution can help you as well.
Everybody wins, everybody enjoys.
And now, let’s watch the video together. Grab a cold drink and something to eat and let us know if it worths the wait.
Thank a lot!